Warsaw University of Technology builds upon the traditions of Polish technical universities that used to function in Warsaw.
– the Polytechnic Institute founded in 1826 thanks to the efforts of Stanisław Staszic and the School of Hipolit Wawelberg and Stanisław Rotwand established in 1895.
Warsaw University of Technology started on its own in 1915 thanks to the efforts of the Association for Scientific Courses and the Citizens’ Committee of the City of Warsaw. Working uninterruptedly, the University has been producing generations of graduates and has had an increasing number of scientific and technical achievements.
It is not only the oldest, but also the best technical university in Poland; in the ranking of Polish universities, it has taken the first place in its category for nine years. At Warsaw University of Technology, over 180 student research groups, organisations and associations are active, and the educational offer includes more than 30 fields of study (also with English as a medium of instruction).
History of the Warsaw University of Technology
4 January 1826 – 19 November 1831
Operation of the Preparatory School for the Polytechnic Institute – the first technical school in Warsaw, founded by Stanisław Staszic. The school provided education in technical and business fields.
4 September 1895
Opening of the Hipolit Wawelberg and Stanisław Rotwand School of Mechanics and Technology – a secondary technical school, financed by Polish philanthropists and patriots.
8 June 1898
Establishment of the Tsar Nicolas II Warsaw Polytechnic Institute – a technical university in the Russian partition area, where classes were conducted in Russian.
5 September 1898
Commencement of classes at three faculties of the Polytechnic Institute: the Faculty of Mechanics, of Chemistry and of Engineering and Construction. In 1902, the fourth faculty was opened – the Faculty of Mining. Poles constituted only 20% of the teaching staff, though Polish students accounted for over 70% of all those studying.
1897 – 1899
Architects Stefan Schyller and Bronisław Rogóyski designed the buildings of the Polytechnic Institute: the Main Building, the Building of Chemistry, the Building of Mechanics, the Building of Physics and two residential buildings for the administration and professors.
22 August 1899
Celebration of setting the cornerstone for the Main Building of the University.
28 January 1905
Strike of Polish students who demanded the autonomy of the University and Polish as the language of instruction.
15 November 1915
Establishment of the first Polish technical university – Warsaw University of Technology. Studies were conducted in Polish at the faculties of: Architecture, Machine Design and Electrical Engineering, Chemistry and Civil and Agricultural Engineering. The first rector was prof. Zygmunt Straszewicz.
1 September 1939
Outbreak of World War II, which stopped the activity of the thriving University. In the academic year 1938/39, the number of students exceeded 5000. Among 6200 diplomas issued at the time, 320 were awarded to women.
Creation of the State Higher Technical School, a two-year-long half-higher school with Polish as the language of instruction. During the German occupation at the time, secret courses were taken by circa 3000 students and engineering diplomas were awarded to 198 people.
22 January 1945
Resumption of classes at Warsaw University of Technology. By the end of the year, all faculties operating before the war had been reopened.
Joining the Hipolit Wawelberg and Stanisław Rotwand Engineering School with Warsaw University of Technology.
Establishment of the Scientific and Teaching Centre in Płock. At present, Warsaw University of Technology, Branch in Płock.
Year of professor Jan Czochralski (1885-1950) – ”world-renown scientist and inventor, crystallographer, chemist, metallurgist”, creator of the fundamentals of the electronic industry. Since 1929 professor at the Faculty of Chemistry of Warsaw University of Technology – the Division of Metallurgy and Metals Science. On 17 November 1929, in recognition of his scientific achievements, he was awarded the honoris causa doctorate of Warsaw University of Technology. On 27 October 2011 he was included, as an outstanding Pole, in the Pantheon of Polish Inventors and Discoverers.
15 November 2015
100 years of Warsaw University of Technology.